Thank you so much for inviting me to share on your blog! I’m Gina Azzi and I recently self-published my first novel Corner of Ocean and Bay.
Here are ten things I wish someone told me before I wrote a novel:
1. It’s OK not to have all the answers. They’ll come to you in time.
2. Your best ideas come from the most unlikely places – and in very surprising moments.
3. Honest friends are more important than friends who don’t want to hurt your feelings.
4. Have several people read your book – before you send it to the editor.
5. The cover is incredibly important. Yes, people do judge a book by its cover – it’s true!
6. You don’t have to accept every suggestion someone offers on how to improve your novel – the ultimate decision to accept or reject a change is yours. But you should always listen first.
7. Be open and receptive to criticism – you’re characters may grow a bit more, your ideas may develop, etc. – if you are open to understanding the perspectives of others.
8. Some days, the writing will not come. And it’s ok. (Other days, it will flow. These days are awesome!).
9. Your characters are not you. Or your friends. Allow them to form their own identities.
10. Have fun – and enjoy the process! It’s amazing how much you will learn and grow and develop.
Corner of Ocean and Bay by Gina Azzi
Publication date: June 15th 2015
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Nessa Moore has sought reliable stability since her father’s death. Now, she’s over it. Tired of always being the mature adult, constantly worrying about her alcoholic mother, stressing about being able to afford college, she wants to have one normal, carefree, fun summer. And be more like her best friend Jacie.
Jacie Hayes is struggling to overcome the recent breakup with her first love. The one that ripped out her heart and left her devastated. Frustrated and bored with her own self pity, Jacie wants nothing more than to forget about Dylan, to go back to her old ways, her old self. To be the fun loving, live-in-the-moment girl who gossips about boys and sips mojitos.
Best friends since childhood, Nessa and Jacie have been through all their ups and downs together. No matter what. Now, the summer before their senior year of high school, they accept an invitation from Jacie’s aunt to join her in Lockwood Quay, New Jersey, a summer beach getaway.
Determined to make this their best, most memorable, summer yet, both girls push their own boundaries, accept new challenges, and find themselves keeping secrets from each other.
But sometimes, stepping out of your comfort zone has consequences.
And some secrets can’t be forgiven. Or forgotten.
Add to your Goodreads shelf.
About the Author
Gina Azzi spent all of her childhood summers at the beach in New Jersey – it was magical! Gina is a passionate reader, frequent globetrotter, and coffee enthusiast. She currently resides in Dubai with her husband, Tony.