Promotion is not one of my favorite things to do after the book is written. I love the creative process of writing. Over time, I have realized that if you don’t promote, people don’t know you have it let alone be able to buy it. Promotion is key but I have found so many things that turn me off from even looking at your book that authors do. The following is a short list and I am quite sure that I will discover others but avoid these promotional errors.
- Promotion without building relationships.
- Only post about their book and nothing else.
- Never congratulate anyone else on their accomplishments or book publishing. If you don’t sow support, you don’t reap support. Use wisdom but support others.
- Authors who don’t travel, whether virtually or in-person to new places to meet new people.
- A broader audience must be sought after. They are not just going to knock on your door. You must meet new people and get out of your comfort zone.
- Unwilling to invest in promotional outlets or other advertisements
- Instant Messaging or in-boxing someone with a sales offer as soon as someone accepts your friend request. Get ready to be unfriended and/or blocked quickly.
- Their links don’t work or a take action button or the contact information is not included when they do promote and they lose the sale.
- Authors who don’t have an email list
Promoting your book on someone else’ page, group or event without their permission. Don’t build your following or promote to someone else’s tribe WITHOUT permission. Ask if unsure. Don’t just post because you see someone else do it, they may have received permission.
About Julia Royston
Julia Royston is an author, publisher, speaker and teacher. Julia provides full-service book publishing services, writing and publishing coaching services as well as hosts workshops and conferences to help aspiring writers become best-selling authors and thriving entrepreneurs.
By profession, Julia is a 22-year certified, media specialist/technology instructor with the local public school system. For more information about Julia and her companies visit, www.juliaroyston.net
About the Book
Title: Jillian Book 1 of the Women of the Fellowship Series
Genre: Romance Fiction
ISBN: 13: 978-0692528068 | 0692528067
Jillian watched so many of her friends date, get engaged and marry before her. She wondered what was taking so long. Jillian had done all of the right things. She had gone to school, built a thriving company, owned a home, drove a luxury car and dedicated years of service to her church and community. But, where was her love? Come experience the lessons, longing, and love of Jillian Forrester. Have faith, your love is on the way too.